Thursday 21 March 2013

Question 3 - What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?

Evaluation

What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?


http://www.bauermedia.co.uk/

A media institution is a company that funds/produces, distributes, publishes, distributes and regulates media products. Institutions are the structures in which a pool of media movements/concepts/products reside. Said products are regulated and distributed by the media institution. IPC, Bauer Media and Future are all examples of media institutions.

The media institution I would choose or prefer to distribute my magazine would be Bauer Media. When carrying out market research into media institutions, I looked at Bauer Media and IPC Media. The two institutions are relatively similar in size and stature and distribute similar products. I would however, choose Bauer over IPC purely on the fact they are slightly more diverse, as my research showed me that "the demographic for Bauer Media is very broad and they reach an audience of all ages and classes and tastes". This broad demographic is favourable to my product as the target audience of my magazine in terms of class and social status is relatively broad, especially considering the mature/lower class contrast of my product.

Bauer Media contribute to the media through many different channels including magazines, television and radio. The genre of magazines they produce are varied and they don't follow a particular trend. Magazines produced by Bauer include Match!, Digital Photo and Classic Bike, as you can see, a broad range. The music magazines produced by Bauer are 'Q' and 'Kerrang!'. This shows us the that the demographic for Bauer Media is very broad and they reach an audience of all ages and classes and tastes.

Similarly to Bauer Media, IPC Media supply mostly websites and magazines. The magazines mostly cover lifestyle, culture and home. The music magazine they do produce is 'NME', a magazine that is difficult to categorize in terms of genre. I would judge IPC Media to have a slightly more mature demographic, yet still relatively open and flexible. 

All this considered, I would choose Bauer Media to produce my magazine for a few reasons. Both Bauer and IPC (the institutions I examined in my research) have gaps in their respective portfolios for a hip hop genre music magazine and therefore both would have a lot to gain from my magazine and my magazine would gain a lot of support from the company. Arguably the key reason behind choosing Bauer is that they have a slightly less mature demographic to IPC and due to the fact my magazine is aimed at young adults, it would make sense to choose them.

No comments:

Post a Comment