Thursday 21 March 2013

Question 4 - Who would be the audience for your media product?

Evaluation

Who would be the audience for your media product?


Media products would not function without an audience and therefore audience is key. The media is constantly shaped and manipulated to satisfy their audience. To decide on who I should aim my media product at, I created a survey on SurveyMonkey and also filmed an interview with a prospective member of the projected audience demographic for my magazine, using a Canon Digital SLR 600D Camera.

My survey, which can be found at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/H5ZWDS6, featured 10 questions about magazines and their potential audiences. The results I collected from my survey can be found earlier on in my blog and these results helped me decide on varying things from the genre and price of my magazine to the age of my audience to what I should use to attract my audience.

Here is what I observed from the answers I received for my question about the ages of people taking my survey:
"The survey results show that 13 people in the age bracket of 0-16 took the survey, 5 in the 17-24 bracket and 3 in the 50+ bracket. This suggests that the age group to aim my magazine at is likely to fall somewhere between the 0-16 and 17-24 categories"
Using this information, I have decided to aim my magazine at 15-24 year olds. This may seem an odd decision as I have a large majority of people in the 0-16 years old category but in hindsight I know that most of the people who have taken the survey, my friends, are 15/16/17 years old. If I were to repeat the survey I would probably change the boundaries of the answers to the question and potentially circulate my survey to a broader audience in order to gain a more balanced reply.

Here is another direct quote from my results analysis regarding my survey: 
"The results here were also quite spread. 'Dance' received the most votes closely followed by 'rock'. 'Hip Hop' and 'RnB' are two genres that could be merged in a magazine and therefore should also be considered as a highly sought-after option for my magazine"
With the aid of this information, I decided to make the genre of my magazine Hip Hop/RnB, merging two similar genres which received high votes in my survey whilst also attacking an area of the market which I know from my market research is far from competitive. The gap in the market would make my magazine more attractive to both readers and potential media institutions.

I then filmed an interview filmed with a Canon Digital SLR 600D Camera and transferred the interview to a computer using a SD Card. The interview consisted of me asking someone who I feel would fit the demographic for the audience of my magazine questions about what he'd like to see in and on a magazine and what he'd be willing to spend on said magazine. 

Below I have produced a Reader Profile, made on Adobe Photoshop, representing the things that I would expect my audience to also be interested in, giving a visual representation of my potential audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment